There was nothing particularly complicated about what I had set out to do.
I was going to declutter.
Take out the papers. Sort them. Keep what mattered. Throw
away what did not. Close the drawer and move on.
Simple.
Except it was not.
Somewhere in the pile were notes I had written years ago.
Little pieces of thought, observations, reminders, fragments of moments that,
at the time, seemed important enough to put on paper.
I found myself reading them.
Then reading them again.
And suddenly, what was supposed to be an exercise in
clearing space became an exercise in remembering.
There were things I did not want to retire.
Not because the paper itself was valuable, but because of
what it carried. A thought I might otherwise forget. A moment I might never be
able to reconstruct. A version of myself that existed only in those few
handwritten lines.
I realised I had attached memory to paper.
And perhaps that was why letting go felt so difficult.
I knew, rationally, that keeping every piece of paper was
unnecessary. I could digitise some of them. Preserve the words. Keep the memory
without keeping the physical object.
So I did.
And yet, even after finding a perfectly sensible solution, I
stayed with the task for days.
Days.
For something that should have taken an afternoon.
That was the part that caught me.
Perhaps decluttering was never really about the papers.
Perhaps it was about the quiet fear that comes whenever we
are asked to make room.
We hold on because we are afraid that letting go means
losing.
We keep old things because they seem to guarantee that what
happened will remain.
We preserve objects because somewhere in us is the suspicion
that memory is fragile, and that if we release the thing that carries it, we
may release the memory too.
But there is another possibility.
Perhaps some things can be remembered without being
retained.
Perhaps some things can be honoured without being kept.
Perhaps making room does not diminish what was. It simply
acknowledges that what was has already done its work.
I think this is where letting go becomes less about disposal
and more about trust.
Trust that the memory does not live entirely in the object.
Trust that what shaped us does not disappear simply because
we no longer possess its evidence.
Trust that there is still something ahead worth making room
for.
And maybe this is why we sometimes struggle to embrace the
new.
Not because we do not want it.
But because we are still negotiating with what we fear we
will lose by making space for it.
The paper eventually went.
The memory did not.
And somewhere between the two, I discovered a question I had
not intended to ask:
What are you afraid of losing, and what might you finally
be able to embrace if you allowed yourself to let it go?
Nugget
Sometimes, letting go is not forgetting.
It is trusting that what mattered has already become part
of you.

No comments:
Post a Comment