Translate

Monday, 24 August 2026

Court is Now in Session_Case008

The People v. "I'll Call You Back"


Court Clerk:

"All rise!"

"The Honourable Justice Common Sense presiding."

Judge:

"Be seated."

"Bailiff, are the phones secured?"

Bailiff:

"Yes, My Lord."

"Except for the Defence Counsel. He claims he needs his phone for legal research."

Judge:

"That is precisely what people say before checking WhatsApp during proceedings."

"Confiscate it."

Court Clerk:

"Case No. 008. The People versus 'I'll Call You Back.'"

"Charge: Making a fraudulent promise of imminent communication, aggravated telephone avoidance, and disappearance following a voluntarily assumed obligation to return a call."

Prosecutor:

"Ready for the People, My Lord."

Counsel:

"Ready for the Defence, My Lord."

Judge:

"Bring in the accused."

The accused enters the courtroom carrying a mobile phone.

The gallery immediately begins murmuring.

One man whispers:

"That is the phone he used to say it."

The Judge bangs his gavel.

"Order."

The Case for the Prosecution

Prosecutor:

"My Lord, this case is remarkably simple."

"On Tuesday at 6:47 PM, the victim called the accused."

"Missed call."

"At 6:51 PM, the accused returned the call."

"The conversation lasted exactly one minute and eleven seconds."

The Prosecutor pauses.

"At 6:52 PM, the accused said the words that bring us here today."

The Court Clerk reads from the transcript:

"I am actually in the middle of something. I'll call you back."

Prosecutor:

"My Lord, the People accepted this statement in good faith."

"Seven minutes passed."

"Nothing."

"Thirty minutes."

"Nothing."

"One hour."

"Still nothing."

"Midnight arrived."

"Still nothing."

"Wednesday came."

"Nothing."

"Thursday."

"Nothing."

"Friday morning..."

The Prosecutor turns towards the accused.

"Still nothing."

The gallery erupts.

Judge:

"Order!"

Exhibit A

The Prosecutor holds up the accused's call log.

"Between Tuesday evening and Friday morning, the accused made fourteen telephone calls."

The Judge raises an eyebrow.

"Fourteen?"

"Yes, My Lord."

"To whom?"

"Various people."

"Family. Friends. One colleague. And, according to the records, a restaurant."

The gallery bursts into laughter.

Prosecutor:

"Yet the one person he explicitly promised to call back..."

"Received nothing."

The Defence

Counsel:

"My Lord, the prosecution is attempting to criminalise a perfectly ordinary phrase."

"'I'll call you back' is not a contract."

"It is a conversational courtesy."

The Judge looks unimpressed.

Counsel:

"Furthermore, the Defence submits the Statute of Phone Call Limitations."

The gallery leans forward.

"Under this long-established principle, any promise to return a call made after 8:00 PM automatically expires at midnight."

The Judge stares at him.

"Counsel..."

"Yes, My Lord?"

"Did you just invent that statute?"

"Not entirely, My Lord."

"Who enacted it?"

"Society."

The gallery erupts.

The Judge waits.

"Proceed."

The Witness

The Victim takes the stand.

Prosecutor:

"When the accused said, 'I'll call you back,' what did you understand that to mean?"

The Victim:

"That he would call me back."

"Approximately when?"

"I assumed that evening."

"And when he did not?"

"I thought perhaps he got busy."

"And the next day?"

"I thought perhaps he forgot."

"And by Friday?"

The Victim sighs.

"By Friday, My Lord, I had accepted that I was apparently living in a different time zone."

The gallery laughs.

Cross-Examination

Counsel:

"Would you agree that the accused may genuinely have intended to call?"

"Yes."

"Would you agree that circumstances can change?"

"Yes."

"Then is it not possible that my client simply became busy?"

"Possibly."

"Then what is the problem?"

The Victim looks at the Defence Counsel.

"The problem is not that he got busy."

"The problem is that he never came back."

Silence settles over the courtroom.

The Judge nods slowly.

The Judgment

Justice Common Sense leans back.

"The Court has considered the evidence."

"Let it first be established that saying 'I'll call you back' is not a criminal offence."

"People get busy. Plans change. Conversations slip the mind."

"However..."

The Judge looks directly at the accused.

"When you voluntarily create an expectation, you assume a small responsibility for it."

"You do not owe everyone immediate access to you."

"But if you cannot keep the promise, you can keep the relationship."

"Send a message."

"I got caught up. I will call tomorrow."

"That takes twelve seconds."

The Judge turns to the Defence.

"And Counsel..."

"There is no Statute of Phone Call Limitations."

Counsel:

"Not yet, My Lord."

The gallery laughs.

The Judge ignores him.

"The accused, 'I'll Call You Back,' is found..."

GUILTY of Unfulfilled Telephone Promises and Aggravated Disappearance.

Sentence is hereby passed:

The accused shall make the outstanding call within twenty-four hours.

Furthermore, any citizen who says 'I'll call you back' and subsequently disappears for more than forty-eight hours shall be required to replace the phrase with the more legally accurate:

"I would like to call you back, but I cannot promise when."

The Judge raises his gavel.

"Honesty is a much shorter conversation."

Bang.

The Principle of the Court:

"A promise does not become meaningless simply because it was spoken casually."

"Sometimes, keeping your word is nothing more than remembering to return the call."

Court is adjourned.

Next Week Before This Honourable Court...

Case No. 009: The People v. "I'm Almost There."

The prosecution alleges that the accused was still in the shower when they sent the message claiming to be five minutes away.

The Defence intends to argue that "almost" is a philosophical concept and that geographical proximity is a matter of personal interpretation.

The Court will determine exactly how far away a person may be while legally claiming to be "almost there."

Proceedings continue next week.

 

4 comments:

  1. If someone says “I will call you back" and then doesn't, there may be reasons for that. People genuinely get distracted or busy. And I think sending a reminder is helpful.
    However, the defence is not convincing because in the end, there's: a breach of promise, emotional negligence, and reckless abandonment of a pending conversation.
    What a fraudulent promise of imminent communication...πŸ™‚

    This is the People's judgment:
    The accused is sentence to one apology, one week compulsory calls with explanation for the disappearance, a snack/fine payable to the Complainant/Victim.

    Court is adjourned πŸ˜…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is looking like someone is a Judge now...you even added snack and fine for your alternate judgement - Well Done!

      Delete
  2. "Honesty is a much shorter conversation."

    I agree with this take. What I’ve also observed is that when someone says, “I’ll call you back,” it can often be a polite way of ending or pausing a conversation without necessarily committing to returning to it.

    When someone genuinely intends to call back, they’ll often say something like, “Can I call you back in an hour?” or “Can I call you on Friday afternoon?” — there’s usually some sense of intention and commitment to a time. Of course, that doesn’t guarantee the call will happen, but at least there’s an acknowledgement that the conversation matters, and sometimes you’ll even get a follow-up text when plans change.

    “I’ll call you back” can sometimes feel like a more polished way of saying, “Let’s talk whenever I have the time,” and unfortunately, that ambiguity has caused a surprising amount of emotional damage πŸ˜‚

    As someone who prefers texts to calls, it’s honestly music to my ears, but I do think we could all be a little more intentional about considering how our lack of follow-through might make someone else feel.

    Because really, how many friendships and conversations could have thrived if someone had simply called back? 😭

    Justice Common Sense may not be my favorite judge, but after this judgment, I think he has officially earned his name in my books. πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ€£

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!!
      Someone has finally agreed that a Daniel has come to judgement with the Honourable Justice Common Sense presiding

      Delete