Translate

Tuesday, 11 August 2026

The People Who Make Us Take a Position

There are people who enter our lives and ask us questions without ever asking a question.


They simply exist.

And somehow, things we have been comfortable leaving undecided begin to demand an answer.

Not because they insist.

Not because they persuade.

Something about them makes it difficult to remain neutral.

I have found this intriguing.

There are matters I have carried quietly for years. Things I had opinions about but never quite took a position on. Questions I could discuss intelligently without ever deciding what I truly believed.

Then someone comes along.

Often without trying.

And suddenly, I find myself thinking:

What do I actually believe about this?

What do I want?

What am I willing to become?

Perhaps that is one of the quieter ways people change us.

They do not always teach us something new.

Sometimes they simply disturb the comfort of what we had left unresolved.

They become a mirror, but not the kind that shows us our face.

The kind that shows us our unfinished thoughts.

And perhaps that is enough.

Not every person who changes us needs to know they have done so.

Sometimes their presence simply brings something in us into focus.

A question.

A conviction.

A desire.

A courage we had postponed.

They do not necessarily give us the answer.

They make us willing to look for one.

And I think there is something beautiful about that.

Because some people arrive and, without doing very much at all, make us take a position.

That may be their gift.

Not an answer.

A question we can no longer avoid.

Perhaps we should be grateful for such people.

They disturb our certainty.

They interrupt our comfortable silence.

They make us look again.

And sometimes, in taking a position, we discover not only what we believe...

but who we are becoming.

Nugget

Some people do not change our minds. They make us finally decide what is in them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment