Translate

Sunday, 23 August 2026

I Did Not Turn Off the Light

Our best decisions are not always the ones we think through the most.


Sometimes, they are the ones we eventually stop thinking about and simply begin to live.

I have made decisions that came after careful consideration. I weighed the possibilities, considered the consequences, listened to counsel and arrived at what seemed like the most sensible thing to do.

And then there are the decisions that make you fight yourself.

Decisions where your head makes its case.

Your heart makes another.

Reason tells you to walk away.

Hope asks you to wait.

And somewhere in between, you find yourself standing still, exhausted from the argument within.

I have had one of those.

I fought myself to a standstill.

I questioned the wisdom of continuing. I considered whether walking away would be easier, cleaner, more sensible. I examined what I was feeling, what I was doing, what I hoped for and whether hope itself was becoming an excuse.

There were enough reasons to leave.

Yet I did not.

Not because I had certainty.

I did not.

Not because I had guarantees.

I had none.

And certainly not because everything suddenly became clear.

It did not.

I simply could not bring myself to turn off the light.

Even when it became dim.

There is something to be said for that kind of decision.

We often imagine faith as a grand leap into the unknown, but sometimes faith is much quieter.

Sometimes it is refusing to close a door simply because you cannot yet see what is beyond it.

Sometimes it is allowing something to remain possible.

Not insisting that it must happen.

Not forcing it to happen.

Just refusing to declare it impossible.

I have learnt that not every decision needs the comfort of certainty before it can be made.

Some decisions are made with questions still unanswered.

Some are made while the heart is still trembling.

Some are made after every argument has been exhausted and something within us still says, not yet.

Perhaps the wisdom was not in knowing how this would end.

Perhaps it was in knowing that I did not need to decide the ending today.

So I stayed.

Not blindly.

Not without battles.

Not without moments when I almost convinced myself that walking away was the wiser thing.

I stayed with the light.

Even dim.

And perhaps that is what some journeys require.

Not certainty.

Not guarantees.

Just enough courage not to switch off the light while there is still something worth seeing.

Nugget

Some of our most important decisions are not made because we know how the story ends.

They are made because, after all the wrestling, we still cannot bring ourselves to turn off the light.

4 comments:

  1. Despite the severe famine in the land of Gerar, the difficult conditions, Isaac sowed and reaped in the same year a hundredfold.
    Not every decision is made because we are certain. Some are made because, despite our uncertainty, we still have enough hope to take the next step.

    We are moved by faith.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can look at this from various angles, however one thing I think remains true is that if one has 'Hope' about a dying situation, in this case the light, then maybe its more than Hope, I belive it is desire. You desire something to be more than what it currently represents, hence Hope.

    If one cannot bring themselves to turn of the light no matter how dim it has become, then it's ok. It's still a decision on its own too, it shows where desire is to some extent. Its not perfect or burning but its there.

    I think sometimes people over complicate things by overthinking or expecting something to turn out a 100% how they expect it, but humans have their own automy and would act as they want. We can accept them for who they are and grow with them, and maybe along the way both people would compromise and meet each other half way to make things easier.

    Perhaps, turning the light off is not what should happen. Quit fighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point KRU.
      Yet, there is also the tangent that deals with situations that are not even existing and given the challenge for starting anything can be struggle enough to dim the light and push one to want to take the door.
      Yet, I find your analogy on our human behaviour very apt. Thank You

      Delete