Some boundaries protect us.
Then some boundaries quietly imprison us.
The difficult part is that they often sound the same.
"I could never date someone shorter than me."
"We work together. That can never happen."
"Mothers-in-law are always difficult."
"All men are the same."
"I will never..."
"I could never..."
The interesting thing about these statements is not that
they exist.
It is how rarely we stop to ask where they came from.
Some are born from painful experiences.
Others are inherited from family conversations, social
expectations, cultural norms, or stories we have heard so often that they begin
to sound like truth.
Eventually, they stop being opinions.
They become rules.
I was speaking with a friend recently who told me about a
genuinely kind and caring man she chose not to marry because they worked in the
same organisation. For her, that fact alone settled the matter.
Not long afterwards, he left the organisation for another
job.
The boundary she thought was immovable quietly disappeared.
It made me wonder how many opportunities we lose, not
because life closed the door, but because we locked it ourselves.
This is not an argument against standards.
Standards matter.
Boundaries matter.
Wisdom certainly matters.
But there is a difference between a conviction you have
carefully formed and a rule you have unconsciously inherited.
One is chosen.
The other is borrowed.
Perhaps every now and then, we owe ourselves an honest
question.
Is this boundary protecting me...
...or is it protecting a fear I have never examined?
Sometimes what we call discernment is simply familiarity
wearing the clothes of wisdom.
And sometimes, the greatest freedom is not found in removing
every boundary.
It is found in discovering which ones were never truly yours
to begin with.
Nugget: Not every rule deserves your obedience.
Before you let a boundary define your future, ask whether it was built from
wisdom... or inherited without question.

"But there is a difference between a conviction you have carefully formed and a rule you have unconsciously inherited."
ReplyDeleteThis quote stopped me in my tracks because, for a long time, I didn't realize how some of my beliefs were inherited rather than intentionally chosen.
Some of those unconscious rules quietly shaped the way I thought, the risks I was willing to take, and even what I believed was possible for my life. Looking back, I can see how limiting they were.
Unlearning those patterns hasn't been easy, but it has been one of the most freeing experiences. It's opened me up to opportunities, perspectives, and experiences that have challenged me, stretched me, and shaped me in ways I never anticipated.
As someone who isn't naturally open-minded, choosing curiosity has been a conscious decision. I've learned to question my assumptions, embrace new possibilities, and become comfortable with having my perspective challenged.
It changed not only the way I think, but also the way I dream. The more I let go of limiting beliefs I never intentionally chose, the more limitless I began to feel.
Sometimes growth isn't about learning something new—it's about having the courage to unlearn what no longer serves you.
Wow!!! This is indeed some journey. God's speed and remember you have within you all you need for decisions that must happen
DeleteHumm .. learning to be comfortable with having ones perspectives challenged in other to grow. Having the courage to unlearn what no longer serves me.
ReplyDeleteI like your view... Nice. Thanks for sharing your light.
Thank you for being part of our community
ReplyDelete