I discovered my anger standing outside a door.
A few friends had gathered in a room, and as I approached, I
heard my name. Instinct told me to knock and walk in. Curiosity persuaded me to
wait.
They spoke generously. They spoke of qualities I had never
imagined they noticed. Their words were humbling in the best possible way.
Then someone laughed.
"Everything you have said is true," he
said. "But when he gets angry... he can bring down the roof."
The room filled with knowing laughter.
I never knocked.
I turned around and quietly walked away.
Not because I was offended.
Because I had just met someone I thought I already knew.
Myself.
That short walk away from the door became the beginning of a
much longer journey.
Until then, I had thought of anger as an occasional visitor.
It arrived once in a while, stayed briefly, then disappeared. I had never
considered that, although its visits were rare, its presence was memorable
enough for others to include it in my description.
That unsettled me.
It also raised a question I had never seriously asked.
Why do I get angry?
The more I searched, the more I realised that the question
itself was incomplete.
Anger is almost never the beginning of the story.
It is often the loudest sentence in a conversation that has
been taking place quietly within us for years.
Sometimes it is disappointment wearing a louder voice.
Sometimes it is fear refusing to admit its own name.
Sometimes it is grief that has not yet found tears.
Sometimes it is pride defending an image that truth has
begun to unravel.
The more I listened to my anger instead of merely condemning
it, the more I realised it was pointing beyond itself.
It was a signpost.
Not the destination.
Self-mastery, I have discovered, is not learning never to
become angry.
It is learning to ask your anger better questions.
What are you protecting?
Why did those words hurt so much?
What expectation just died?
What part of me feels threatened?
Those questions have been far kinder to me than simply
trying to become less angry.
Because you cannot heal what you have never taken the time
to understand.
Years have passed since that afternoon outside the door.
I have become slower to speak.
Quicker to apologise.
More willing to pause before responding.
I have learned that silence is sometimes stronger than being
right.
I have also learned that gentleness is not weakness. It is
often strength that has learned patience.
Do I still become angry?
Yes.
Growth has not removed anger from my life.
It has simply denied it the right to make decisions on my
behalf.
There is another kind of anger I have observed, both in
myself and in others.
It emerges when someone quietly understands us.
Not misunderstands us.
Understands us.
There are moments when another person sees through the
stories we have carefully constructed about ourselves. They name something we
hoped would remain hidden, or they expose a contradiction we were not ready to
confront.
That kind of clarity can feel strangely threatening.
Sometimes we call it offence.
Sometimes it is simply exposure.
Perhaps that calls for an entirely different search.
Before asking who made you angry, ask what their words
uncovered.
The answer may surprise you.
So today, I leave you with a question that changed my life.
Not, "Who made you angry?"
But,
"Why are you angry?"
Sit with it.
Do not rush to answer.
Listen long enough, and your anger may stop speaking about
other people.
It may begin introducing you to yourself.
The Nugget
The journey to self-mastery does not begin when we
silence our anger. It begins when we become humble enough to let it reveal what
our hearts have been trying to say all along.

No comments:
Post a Comment