I had reason to travel far from the city, back to the village.
And somewhere along those earth roads, around familiar
corners and beneath that open sky, I realised I had not merely travelled to a
place.
I had travelled back in time.
Old friends came with hugs.
The eyes were older now. The faces carried the evidence of
years. Some bodies moved with a little more caution than I remembered.
But the warmth was still there.
The laughter still knew its way around the years between us.
We spoke of the days when life was simpler, though not
necessarily easier. Days of joy. Days of pain. Days when laughter came easily
because there was little else to do but laugh.
Some stories had become memories.
Some memories had become people we could no longer call.
And somehow, even that was part of the celebration.
The air felt different.
Fresh. Unhurried.
There was the smell of food being prepared, crops being
processed, something being ground somewhere nearby. The sweet, familiar smell
of local production.
People still making life from what they have.
Life had not stopped there.
It had simply learned to move without the noise of the city.
The roads were still earth roads in places. The corners were
still familiar.
Yet familiarity carried its own ache.
I remembered who I was when I walked those roads.
I remembered the innocence that had quietly disappeared.
I remembered the growing up that happened while nobody was
watching.
And I remembered those who once walked those same paths but
would never walk them again.
The village had changed.
Some houses were bigger.
Some people were older.
Some were no longer there.
And perhaps the greatest change was not in the village at
all.
It was in me.
I returned with a heart strangely full.
Full of memories.
Full of gratitude.
Full of the quiet awareness that life has given me far more
than I sometimes stop to acknowledge.
We spend so much of life looking ahead that we forget to
look back.
Not to live there.
Just to remember.
To remember where some parts of us began.
To remember the people whose love could not be measured in
money.
To remember that before life became complicated, it was
already precious.
And perhaps that is one of the gifts of returning home.
The village does not ask what you have become.
It simply remembers who you were.
And for a little while,
that is enough.

No comments:
Post a Comment