“I am glad my response was meaningful to you.”
It was a simple sentence.
But I found myself returning to it.
Perhaps because, sometimes, we underestimate what it means
to know that something we said, did, or offered actually helped another person.
We often measure usefulness by what we can fix.
The problem solved.
The burden carried.
The money given.
The door opened.
The practical thing done.
But sometimes, usefulness is much quieter.
A sentence that makes someone think again.
A question that stays with them.
A little encouragement offered at the right moment.
A perspective that helps someone see an old thing
differently.
You may never know what happens after you say it.
And perhaps that is why it felt good to hear those words.
Not because I needed to be needed.
But because there is something beautiful about knowing that
what you carry can become useful in another person's journey.
Then I thought about the other side of it.
How many people have been useful to me without knowing it?
A friend who asked the uncomfortable question.
A mentor whose one sentence stayed for years.
A colleague who challenged an assumption.
Someone who simply listened.
A person who said something casually and unknowingly gave me
a thought I would later need.
Perhaps we are all carrying things that can help one
another.
Wisdom.
Kindness.
Questions.
Stories.
Experience.
Even our unfinished thoughts.
And maybe part of becoming is learning not only to offer
what we have, but to recognise what others carry too.
Because sometimes, the person you thought you were helping
is quietly helping you become.
And sometimes, all either of you needs to know is this:
What you gave mattered.
Nugget:
Never underestimate the quiet usefulness of what you carry. Someone may be
becoming because you shared it.

No comments:
Post a Comment