A few days ago, I was having one of those conversations that starts casually and somehow stays with you long after it ends.
We were talking about our worst fears.
She mentioned failure.
I mentioned mine: being misunderstood.
Then she said something simple.
“If people will always misunderstand you, why bother?”
I laughed when she said it.
But the sentence followed me home.
I began thinking about Jesus.
He was misunderstood.
Paul was misunderstood.
People questioned their motives, their message, even their
calling.
Yet they kept walking.
Not because everyone understood them, but because they had
become clear about what they had been called to do.
That little conversation became an unexpected invitation to
look inward.
And it reminded me of something Plutarch said:
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be
kindled.”
Perhaps some conversations are not meant to give us answers.
They simply strike the match.
Sometimes, someone says one sentence and moves on, unaware
that something inside you has caught fire.
You think you are listening to them.
Later, you realise you were listening to yourself.
I have become increasingly grateful for people who do that.
People who ask questions.
People who challenge a comfortable thought.
People who say something almost casually, and leave you with
enough to wrestle with.
Even people who do not know they have taught you anything.
Because perhaps formation does not always happen in
classrooms, books or sermons.
Sometimes it happens across a table.
Sometimes in an ordinary conversation.
Sometimes through a sentence you almost dismissed.
And sometimes, God uses another person to kindle a fire you
did not know had gone quiet.
The vessel wants to be filled.
The fire wants to burn.
Perhaps becoming is learning the difference.
Nugget:
Not every person who teaches you knows they are teaching you. Some simply
strike the match and walk away.

No comments:
Post a Comment